Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Tomato Sauce

Well, after a three month hiatus, I'm back! Although I have not been updating this blog, I have continued to be busy in the kitchen, and have over a dozen recipes waiting to be posted! This first one is a really simple tomato sauce recipe - it doesn't even require any actual cooking, just chopping and combining of ingredients. It is also the first time I have used ingredients that I have grown myself! This sauce is great on its own, or combined with other recipes.

Tomato Sauce
Adapted from Betty Crocker "Heart Health Edition Cookbook"
25 servings, roughly 2 oz each

Ingredients:
1 28 oz can plum tomatoes
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp parsley flakes
1 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
1 tsp olive oil
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
6 medium tomatoes, diced (I used 4 medium ones from the store, and a variety of ones from my garden)
1 green bell pepper, optional (I used 3 mini bell peppers from my garden - I saved them from a severe heat wave)

1. In a food processor, or blender, place all ingredients.

2. Cover and process until smooth.

3. Use immediately, or transfer to a glass or plastic bowl for storing in the fridge or freezer.

4. Enjoy!

Nutritional Info per Serving:
Calories 22; Total Fat 0g; Cholesterol 0mg; Sodium 67mg; Total Carbs 3g; Protein 1g

No comments:

Post a Comment