Sunday, November 18, 2012

Carrot Cake

Note: The below recipe is for a half carrot cake, good for an 8 or 9 inch round pan, or a smaller rectangular baking dish, which is what I used. If you want to make the full traditional cake, just double the ingredients. I made the half cake since I only had 1 1/2 cups worth of shredded carrots available. Also, while I opted not to frost this cake, since I will be freezing half of it, you can frost it with some vanilla buttercream frosting or cream cheese frosting of your choosing.

Carrot Cake
Adapted from Betty Crocker "Heart Health Edition Cookbook"
10 servings

Ingredients:
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup applesauce (I used Mott's natural applesauce since it was all I had available, but I would highly recommend using homemade applesauce instead)
1 1/2 eggs*
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups shredded carrots

1. Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Prepare cooking dish for baking, using either shortening and flour, or spray with cooking oil.

2. In a medium bowl, beat sugar, applesauce, and eggs.

3. Add cinnamon, baking soda, vanilla, and salt.

4. Add flour. Stir in carrots. Pour batter into baking pan and cook for 20-25 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

5. Once done cool on a wire rack.

6. Enjoy!


*I find the best way to get half an egg is to scramble one in a measuring cup and then slowly pour out the needed amount, roughly 1/8 cup.

Nutritional Info per Serving:
Calories 117; Total Fat 1g; Cholesterol 32mg; Sodium 144mg; Total Carbs 26g; Protein 3g

No comments:

Post a Comment